Before I even begin to reminisce, I want to wish all of you - my blogging friends and family and all who follow and support me on this journey, the VERY BEST OF 2010!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I also want to thank you for the continued support, encouragement and blog love over the past year. I never anticipated the amount of wonderful support I would receive (and friends that I've made) when I started this blog in November 2008. I could NOT have done any of this without your support and blog love! I thank you sincerely!
2KMINE!!!! [Two Thousand Mine (2009)]
Last year I made a very bold statement that I wanted 2009 to be "Two Thousand Mine (2KMINE). Sitting here on the very last few hours of 2009 , I feel that was the case...2009 WAS MINE. Please don't get me wrong - I am not an arrogant person but I really feel that I rocked it this past year and 2009 was MINE! (I'm sure there are millions of others that feel this way as well) :) All I am really trying to say here is that 2009 was one of the most amazing years of my life and I truly feel like I have accomplished so very much!! Here are some of the highlights.
- I lost 89 pounds!!!!!!!!! That deserves to be repeated...I LOST 89 POUNDS!! :)
- I reclaimed my life as it relates to living the most healthy lifestyle that I can
- I improved my quality of life (including that of my family and some friends)
- I have made fitness a part of my life, permanently
- I met and worked with the most amazing trainer/nutritionist in Canada, Rob Lagana of (http://laganafitness.com). He provided me with the tools to succeed and CONTINUE on this life long journey
- I have connected with so many wonderful people on similar journeys. We've built an amazing support system for each other (I love my blog buddies)
- I RAN my very first (and certainly not last) 5 K (CIBC Run for the Cure, October 4) in 43 minutes, 48 seconds. I cried the entire final kilometre.
- My weight loss journey was featured in 3 newspapers (the Ottawa Citizen, The Metro & EMC)
- I was selected as one of the Top 50 people in the capital for Ottawa Life Magazine's Annual Top 50 issue
- I starred in a national television commercial for ParticipACTION
- I was part of the Sun Life ParticipACTION Inspire the Nation Tour
- I was featured on the radio (Live 88.5)
2009 was the year in which I learned the value of taking care of myself; the importance of making myself a priority so that I may be able to do all the things I want to do, including being a better mom, wife, friend, etc! I finally learned how to give myself the opportunity to be the best person I could be.
When I weighed 258 pounds:
- I could barely walk a short distance without becoming breathless, having to "take breaks".
- I snored like a bear... 89 pounds gone and no more snoring!!
- I hardly got a restful night of sleep...now my head hits that pillow and I AM OUT! It's a beautiful thing. I am so much more rested.
- I was convinced I had chronic knee pain or "bad knees"....I was just carrying too much weight because since the loss, my knee pain has vanished. My knees also used to crack with practically each step...no more cracking!
- Undergarments were VERY uncomfortable....now...AMAZING! :)
- I couldn't paint my own toe nails!!
- I couldn't keep up with my toddler...now..well, I still can't keep up...lol!! However, I could hang out significantly longer than before. I'm a FUN mommy now :)
So here I am at what I believe is the beginning of the rest of my life. I am in MAINTENANCE mode...I lost a lot of weight and I do believe that I will lose some more but for the most part, my greatest challenge in this upcoming year will be to maintain this new life stlye. I intend to do all I can to ensure that I make it. I WILL not re-gain this weight!! I am not looking backwards. 2010 will be all about moving forward with my goals on this journey!!! This is my new lifestyle. I want to live this way forever!! I will make fitness and health a priority and KEY PART of my life.
NO RESOLUTIONS, JUST GOALS!!!!!!!!
My health and fitness goals for 2010:
- MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN, MAINTAIN!!!!
- Train and run a mini triathlon (possibly June).
- Run a minimum of 2 Five K's for the year (Ottawa Race Weekend in May and CIBC Run for the Cure in October).
- Keep up with my weight training session to truly sculpt and define my body/muscles.
- Join a recreational sports team (Soccer, baseball).
- Continue with my Martial Arts Training. Become a PRO-Kicker in Kickboxing and advance in Jiu-jitsu
Overall, for me, 2009 WAS AN INCREDIBLE SUCCESS based on what I've accomplished regarding getting healthy, losing weight and improving my life. I KNOW THAT 2010 WILL BE EVEN BETTER. More to come.
Lastly, at this time, I know there are a lot of people who are resolving that this year, 2010 will be the year that they could finally lose weight. I was in the same boat for so long. I am not an expert however I would like to humbly offer only one bit of advice. Just do it...find the right tools, invest the time, give it AT LEAST a year and STICK to it, YOU ARE WORTH IT!!! You too will be here come December 2010 advising others to do the same.
Until next time which will be 2010!!! HAVE A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
Joania (2 K MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)